Re: Retrieve the server's time zone

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Retrieve the server's time zone
Date: 2017-11-14 14:49:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane schrieb am 14.11.2017 um 15:36:
>> is there any way (short of writing a function in an untrusted PL)
>> to determine the actual time zone (or time) of the server OS?
>
> AFAIK that would only be true if some part of your client stack
> is issuing a SET TIMEZONE command. (libpq will do that if it finds
> a PGTZ environment variable set, but not in response to plain TZ.)

Ah, interesting. I do that through JDBC, so apparently that's the part to blame.

> If that's true, and you can't/don't want to change it, you could try
>
> select reset_val from pg_settings where name = 'TimeZone';

Hmm, this does not seem to work.

I am connected to a server with Asia/Bangkok but through JDBC
that query still returns Europe/Berlin (which is my client's time zone)

So apparently the JDBC driver somehow "persists" this setting.

I will take this to the JDBC mailing list then, thanks.

Thomas