Re: Large Objects

From: Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "pgsql general list" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large Objects
Date: 2005-01-03 18:43:04
Lists: pgsql-general

> gives me (and those on high) the warm-fuzzies. If I store files (PDFs
> of varying sizes by the way, say from 500k to 50M) as large objects,
> will I still be able to restore the _whole_ database from a single
> pg_dump tar file?

Don't forget a thing :

If you put a webserver in front of this, you will have to load the entire
object in RAM before you can serve it to the client, which means a little
number of requests on large files will kick the server into swapalot mode.
Using filesystem files solves this in the most easy of ways, but creates
backup problems, but it's not that complex.