Re: tree structure photo gallery date quiery

From: Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tree structure photo gallery date quiery
Date: 2004-11-16 18:51:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I'm looking at the possibility of implementing a photo gallery for my
> web site with a tree structure, something like:

You don't really want a tree structure, because one day you'll want to
put the same photo in two galleries. Suppose you take a very interesting
photo of celery during your trip to china, you might want to create a
'Trip to China' folder, and also a 'Celery' folder for your other celery
photos... well, if you don't like vegetables, it also works with people,
moods, geographic regions, themes, etc. You could define this structure :

You could then define tables describing themes, and/or keywords, link
photos with these themes and keywords, and define a folder as either being
a specific collection of photos, or as a collection of one or several
themes.

From a tree, it becomes a bit more like a graph.

Themes can also be organized and relationed together.

This opens the path to easy searching and cataloguing ; is not that much
more difficult to do, and in the end you'll have a much better system.

> How would I go about creating a view to show a) the number of photos in
> a gallery and b) the timestamp of the most recent addition for a
> gallery, so that it interrogates all sub-galleries?

If you're concerned about performance, you should do this in a
materialized view updated with triggers. If you can afford a seq scan on
every time, a few stored procs should do the trick.