Re: Schema version control

From: "Andy Chambers" <achambers(at)mcna(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema version control
Date: 2011-02-10 23:14:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:59:30 -0500, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
wrote:

> The overview:
> You store your schema and data as XML (this is easy to migrate to,
> because
> it includes a tool that makes the XML from a live database)

We're doing a similar thing here except we're a Lisp shop so our
schema is defined as a set of "defentities" and we can migrate from
one version to another using a corresponding set of "defmaps".

> Keep your XML schema files in some RCS.
> When it's time for a new deployment, you run the dbsteward tool against
> the schema XML and it turns it into DDL and DML.
> When it's time for an upgrade, you run the dbsteward tool against two
> schema XML files, and it calculates what has changed and generates the
> appropriate DDL and DML to upgrade.

This sounds pretty cool. Ours doesn't do that yet but that's next
on my TODO list.

--
Andy Chambers