PLPython function and multiple line insert

From: "Andi Klapper" <andi(dot)klapper(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PLPython function and multiple line insert
Date: 2009-06-06 02:24:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I hope, I am on the right list. If not my apology.

I'd like to insert multiple lines as following with PLPython:

SQL statement:
INSET INTO table1 (field1, field2, field3)
VALES ('abc', 'abc', TRUE),
('def', 'def', FALSE),
('ghi', 'ghi', TRUE);

Here the proposed function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION insert_rows()
RETURNS boolean AS
$$
.
.
.
sql = "("INSERT INTO table1 (field1, field2, field3)
VALUES ('abc', 'abc', TRUE),
('def', 'def', FALSE),
('ghi', 'ghi', TRUE");"
pypl.execute(sql)
.
.
$$
LANGUAGE 'plpythonu' VOLATILE

I ran into trouble with quoting this SQL statement in PLPython (PostgreSQL
8.3.7). Any ideas/suggestions how to quote it either with pypl.execute()
or pypl.plan()?

Thanks for any suggestions and help in advance,
Andi