Re: Protection from SQL injection

From: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
To: "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>, "Aidan Van Dyk" <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Dunstan" <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, "Thomas Mueller" <thomas(dot)tom(dot)mueller(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Protection from SQL injection
Date: 2008-04-30 10:55:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Could we also get a mode, where PREPARE would only be allowed for
> queries of the form "SELECT * FROM func(?,?,?,?,?); :)

Actually, that is similar to the concept of "global prepared statements"
that I proposed some time ago, but I will not have time to write the
patch, alas...
Idea was that the DBA can create a list of SQL statements (with
privileges about who can execute them, just like functions) which are
prepared on-demand at the first EXECUTE by the client.
This would enhance performance (but for performance I like the idea of
caching plans better).
It would be pretty cumbersome, though, to execute dynamic SQL like the
typical search query...