Table Column Retrieval

From: dmp <danap(at)dandymadeproductions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Table Column Retrieval
Date: 2010-02-23 02:23:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Recently I read that one of the distinctions between a standard database
and
a columnar one, which led to an increase in its efficiency, was and I
quote:

"Only relevant columns are retrieved (A row-wise database would pull
all columns and typically discard 80-95% of them)"

Is this true of PostgreSQL? That eventhough my query does not call for a
column it is still pulled from the table row(s). I know that my client via
the JDBC does not contain the data in the ResultSet for the column, because
of the packet monitoring I have done on queries.

danap