Granting all tables in schema by one SQL command

From: Krycek <krycek6(at)wp(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Granting all tables in schema by one SQL command
Date: 2006-10-19 20:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

Im new to PostgreSQL development and I would like to make "introduce"
patch that will satisfied this point of TODO:
"%Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects with
one command

The proposed syntax is:

GRANT SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN public TO phpuser; GRANT SELECT ON NEW
TABLES IN public TO phpuser;"

My proposal of SQL syntax is:

GRANT { { SELECT | INSERT | UPDATE | DELETE | RULE | REFERENCES | TRIGGER }
[,...] | ALL [ PRIVILEGES ] }
ON ALL TABLES IN schema_name[,...]
TO { username | GROUP groupname | PUBLIC } [, ...] [ WITH GRANT OPTION ]

for granting all tables/views in schema

and

REVOKE [ GRANT OPTION FOR ]
{ { SELECT | INSERT | UPDATE | DELETE | RULE | REFERENCES | TRIGGER }
[,...] | ALL [ PRIVILEGES ] }
ON ALL TABLES IN schema_name[,...]
FROM { username | GROUP groupname | PUBLIC } [, ...]
[ CASCADE | RESTRICT ]

for revokeing all tables/views in schema

Please review is it ok.

And I have question about what author of point in TODO list has on mind
when was writing

"GRANT SELECT ON NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;"?

What does "NEW TABLES" mean in this context?

Thanx for reply.

Sorry for my english.

--
Best Regards