Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres

From: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "Amit V Shah" <ashah(at)tagaudit(dot)com>, "'Jeffrey Tenny'" <jeffrey(dot)tenny(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
Date: 2005-06-06 16:41:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

> postgres -> returns results in 2.8 seconds

What kind of plan does it do ? seq scan on the big tables and hash join
on the small tables ?

> mysql -> takes around 16 seconds !!!! (This is with myisam ... with
> innodb it takes 220 seconds)

I'm not surprised at all.
Try the same Join query but with a indexed where + order by / limit on
the big table and you should get even worse for MySQL.
I found 3 tables in a join was the maximum the MySQL planner was able to
cope with before blowing up just like you experienced.

> I am all for postgres at this point, however just want to know why I am
> getting opposite results !!! Both DBs are on the same machine

Why do you say "opposite results" ?