Re: [DOCS] Streaming replication document improvements

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Streaming replication document improvements
Date: 2010-04-01 17:58:35
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> On 4/1/10 10:44 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> It seems within the realm of possibility that not all users would
>> think to boost superuser_reserved_connections by the number of
>> replication connections, and be surprised when they are unable to
>> connect in an emergency.
>
> Well, that's easy to add to the documentation.

It's probably also easy to fix so that it doesn't NEED to be documented.

The thing is, when dealing with new features, we reduce our overall
maintenance burden if we get it right the first time. Obviously it's
too late for major changes, but minor adjustments to maintain the POLA
seem like exactly what we SHOULD be doing right now.

...Robert