Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

From: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book
Date: 2004-03-23 16:51:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers

Along with some other folks I am co-authoring a chapter on PostgreSQL
in the next edition of "Database System Concepts" by Silberschatz,
Korth and Sudarshan (http://db-book.com)

This is in the form of a "case study" and will follow the pattern in
Chapters 25,26 and 27 (Part 8 in the Table of Contents available at
the above URL) that deal with Oracle, DB2 and MS SQL Server
respectively.

There are three sections, though, that are non-engine specific:

- Database Design and Querying Tools
- Replication, Distribution and External Data
- Database Administration Tools

I'm at a loss as to how much we should focus on these sections. Do we
use what's in GBorg ? Do the hackers have any suggestions ?

There are 33 DBA tools and 19 Design tools in GBorg .. are there any
specific tools that are "recommended" ?

Suggestions appreciated ..

--
Pip-pip