Re: Resurrected thread: Speed improvement - Group batch Insert - Rewrite the INSERT at the driver level (using a parameter)

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resurrected thread: Speed improvement - Group batch Insert - Rewrite the INSERT at the driver level (using a parameter)
Date: 2015-03-30 12:23:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Jeremy Whiting schrieb am 25.03.2015 um 20:34:
> "If your use case is just "I want to do bulk inserts as fast as possible" then perhaps the newly merged COPY suport is a better way to go."

I wonder if it is possible to silently "rewrite" a batched statement to use the CopyManager.

Very(!) roughly speaking: when the first call to addBatch() is made, initialize the CopyManager and provide a a Reader implementation that acts as a bridge between the PreparedStatement.setXXX()/addBatch() statements and the CopyManager. Something like a producer/consumer pattern. The setXXX() calls would prepare a single "line" and the addBatch() would then "send" this to the CopyManager which is blocked on the Read.readLine() call.

But I have no clue if this would even be possible (blocking Reader.readLine() but sill allowing calls to addBatch() in the same Thread seems a major roadblock to me) or - if possible - how much work it would be.

It would definitely require parsing the insert statement passed to the prepareStatement() clause, but as the syntax of a plain insert statement isn't that complicated, I think that should be doable - especially because we wouldn't need to worry about literals as only placeholders will be (must be?) used.

Thomas