default enconding

From: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: default enconding
Date: 2004-03-28 00:56:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, I have found what I thing is a quite annoying behaviour of
Postgres (psql). When you type (and ask for complation) for some
string that has some characters not in the ASCII encoding it requires
a double quote on it, however if you don't put those double quotes
around it, you can still execute the query. So what about changing the
behaviour to either don't accept characters with the 8 bit set or
accept by default strings in the iso-8859-1 encoding instead of ASCII
endoding by default.

Regards,
Manuel.