Re: Replicating databases

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replicating databases
Date: 2005-11-04 23:51:10
Lists: pgsql-general

>> But if someone decided to "fork" their own *new* project, perhaps
>> starting based on one of the releases, that would an entirely
>> interesting idea.
>
> Wouldn't async multimaster make use of most all of what slony-I
> currently has? ISTM that it would make life a lot easier to use one
> combined project rather than two...

When you combine projects, you require the participants to participate
in the union of the complexity of the projects. The project can't
generate releases unless they all coordinate a release, and if their
interests differ, that can be tough to do... There are OSes we could
name where increasing sets of participants are having that very
effect...

If projects remain largely independent, they can limit themselves to
their respective individual sets of complexities. That's precisely
why the PostgreSQL project is trying to push as many of the "contrib"
things out to outside projects as possible.

There's a famous saying about "sufficient to the day is the evil
thereof;" we might substitute "project" for "day" in that ;-).
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/wp.html