Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install

From: "Dr(dot) Peter Voigt" <pvoigt(at)uos(dot)de>
To: Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install
Date: 2010-09-30 12:42:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Dharmendra,

thanks for your reply. This kind of errors, which cannot be reproduced
on other machines are bad and leave no chance for developers to solve
them.

Unfortunately the installer does not leave any log files. The Windows
event log has no entries about the installation attempt as well.

I do not know what further information could be helpful. My first idea
was that my installed MS Visual Studio 2008 could be the
problem. Therefore I tried the "--install_runtimes 0" option -
unfortunately with no success. My Visual Studio installation works as
expected. I conclude it from various projects which all built fine.

I am running a Windows 7 x86-64 for about 3 months and it runs without
problems. I cleanly installed the system onto an empty, e.g. formated
harddrive.

As the first described error
"An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer"
has been discussed with previous releases of PostgreSQL, e.g.
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/2328.page
I think that it is a known issue. Moreover, exactly the same error has
been described in the EnterpriseDB forum under
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/2303.page
with PostgreSQL 9.0 and Windows 7 x86-64. However, both posts remain
un-replied until today.

If there are no other users out there with comparable problems I could
give the ZIP-installer a try under:
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do
There is a file postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows_x64-binaries.zip. I did not
yet try this because I am new to PostgreSQL. I first have to figure

- how to start the database from the command line,
- how to setup the PostgreSQL service from the command line,
- what registry entries are required.

If you can answer the above three questions (each with one sentence),
I will immediately start installation and tests, because I hope - from
my short but good PostgreSQL 9.0 experiences under Linux - that just
the installer fails on my system but not the database system itself.

If you need any other information that might help, please let me
know. I would really like to get some more knowledge about
PostgreSQL.

Regards,
Peter