Re: Hosting Service Recommendations

From: Jerry Sievers <jerry(at)jerrysievers(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hosting Service Recommendations
Date: 2005-04-25 14:13:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Kratz <chris(dot)kratz(at)vistashare(dot)com> writes:

> It seems the consensus on this list is that when running postgres,
> Opterons outperform Xeons by a significant margin not to mention the
> CS storms postgres seems to cause on Xeons. We are looking for a
> hosting service for a postgresql based application. Unfortunately,
> it seems most services standardize on Dell and by extension Xeon
> hardware. Do anyone have recommendations for hosting services that
> would be able to provide Opteron based hardware and have decent
> service? Or are we stuck with Xeons? -- Chris Kratz

You might consider a co-located server. You supply the hardware of
your choosing and the ISP puts it in their datacenter.

Less popular than dedicated server (owned by the ISP) but a good
choice if you have special hardware needs.

Not all ISPs do colo so, better check around.

HTH

Jerry Sievers 305 854-3001 (home) WWW ECommerce Consultant
305 321-1144 (mobile http://www.JerrySievers.com/