Re: DB replicators comparison; (vs. DB upgrade via pg_dump)

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB replicators comparison; (vs. DB upgrade via pg_dump)
Date: 2005-05-16 00:51:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
> I am about to upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8.0.3, and I read that using a DB
> replication tool is a good way to go about it.

Replication is useful for this purpose if it helps you cut down on the
time the transition takes.

If the database is relatively small, and it only takes a few minutes
to load the data in, then it's far simpler to do a dump/reload.

But if you discover that the dump/reload takes 4 hours, and you're
only permitted 20 minutes of downtime, the complexities of replication
may get forced on you...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html