Re: Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resi

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resi
Date: 2003-02-25 20:11:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoth rmalghan(at)btspartners(dot)com ("Malghan, Ravi"):
> What I am trying to do is, I have multiple databases some of which
> are frequently accessed. So I am trying to see if the one's which
> are frequently accessed can be run as memory resident and others run
> normally. I am thinking this might improve response times.

In the ancient past, people would "set the sticky bit" on executable
programs to force them to stay in memory; that idea has become
obsolete what with larger memory sizes and more sophisticated memory
management schemes in Unix variants. I think you're essentially
trying to express the same idea here...

The tables/databases that are frequently accessed should already be
mostly in memory as a result of the way your OS caches data.

It's not likely that there's anything that you can do "inside
PostgreSQL" that would be helpful in this regard.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html