Re: Newbie-question

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Victor Spång Arthursson <victor(at)tosti(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbie-question
Date: 2003-10-28 15:38:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Victor Spång Arthursson <victor(at)tosti(dot)dk> writes:

> Thanks for the fast answer! There doesn't seem to be any pgadmin for
> OS X, but perhaps it's possible to run in X11… I also tried out the
> phppgadmin, which I found lacking some important features that are
> availible in its counterpart for mysql, the phpmyadmin; for example
> the possibility to set autoincrement on fields.

That's done by declaring the column as type SERIAL in the first
place. You can add it after the fact by creating a sequence and doing
ALTER TABEL ALTER COLUMN ADD DEFAULT nextval('myseq')--check the docs
for the exact syntax. I don't know if phppgadmin lets you modify
defaults easily, but you can always just send the above query
directly...

-Doug