Re: OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-10-03 18:50:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, stig erikson <stigerikson_nospam_(at)yahoo(dot)se> wrote:
> Hello.
> i have an slightly off topic question, but i hope that somebody might know.
>
> at the moment we have a database on a MS SQL 7 server.
> This data will be transfered to PostgreSQL 7.4.5 or PostgreSQL 8 (when
> it is released). so far so good.
>
> the question now arises, this current database is used in web
> application made with ASP on IIS5. The idea is to move the database
> and the application to a linux or unix environment. Is there a tool
> that can be used convert ASP pages into PHP (or any other language
> suitable for linux/unix), or should we prepare to rewrite most of the
> code?
>
> Is there a tool, some add-in to apache perhaps that can run ASP code
> on linux/unix, this would help to have the system running while we
> recode the application.
>
> Any thoughts on how such a transfer can be made?

There was a company called Chillisoft that has an ASP processor for
Unix. They got bought out by Sun:

<http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/>

That being said, the tool typically considered the "ASP alternative"
seems to be PHP.

I'd have to colour myself quite conflicted about such...

- Perl gets widely used, and if I'm writing scripts, that what I
typically use, despite it reading like line noise.

- PHP strikes me as being a re-creation of Perl, with pretty much all
of the problems I'd regard as demerits.

- Python is _way_ nicer to read, but has the demerit that your
application will become a twisty maze of object classes.

- The alternative _I_ would most like would be to deploy web apps
in Lisp, but I never have the "round tuits" to get into that
very far...

There are painful things about pretty much every answer there, which
is undoubtedly why NONE of these systems (including MSFT/ASP) has been
able to become dominant over any of the others.

Whichever language you consider, look _seriously_ at what
modules/libraries are available for managing templates, as that is the
key to getting web apps to work out well, and if you can get something
that's high-powered, you can cut down on maintenance costs a lot.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','linuxfinances.info').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html