Re: [BASIC FEATURES] stored procedures in Postgresql ?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: " Jérôme Courat" <jerome(dot)courat(at)gecko(dot)fr(dot)eu(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BASIC FEATURES] stored procedures in Postgresql ?
Date: 2001-12-06 18:13:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Jérôme Courat" <jerome(dot)courat(at)gecko(dot)fr(dot)eu(dot)org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> We have to evaluate the possibility to integrate an open source RDBMS in our
> software developments.
> I checked some stuff on Postgres, but I now have to find out whether
> Postgres integrates Stored Procedures as a feature.

Depends on your definition of "stored procedure". Postgres allows
user-written functions, stored in the database, and callable from
queries. What these functions can't currenty do is return result
sets, which is what a lot of people mean by "stored procedure".

However, it's my understanding that in 7.2 (which is currently in
beta) functions can return open cursors, which gives you a lot of the
same functionality as returning result sets.

Also, functions can be written in several languages, including Perl,
Python, and Tcl as well as straight C and PGSQL (which is similar to
Oracle's PL/SQL).

> Can anyone tell me if it does ? In that case, my company would use this
> rdbms for several future products.

I hope my response has been helpful.

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863