Re: buglet in 7.1.4

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: buglet in 7.1.4
Date: 2004-03-09 15:28:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when neilc(at)samurai(dot)com (Neil Conway) wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Yea, we probably aren't releasing any more 7.1.X releases though.
>
> Perhaps it is worth applying to the 7.1 CVS branch, at least?
>
> BTW, I can't really see the harm in putting out 7.1.x and 7.2.x
> releases to fix compilation issues on modern systems. For example, I
> believe that 7.2.4 doesn't compile on RH9+, due to a minor
> infelicity in 'errno' usage in copy.c -- it is fixed in the 7.2 CVS
> branch, but hasn't been included in a 7.2.x release.

I recently found a similar "infelicity" with 7.1.4 on RH8, resulting
from the fact that modern versions of gcc generate multiple lines of
output from gcc -v, whereas the configure script expects only one.
This leads to quite spectacular breakage of the compile process, as
configure gets very confused...
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html
-- Courtney Love, Salon.com, June 14, 2000