Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Date: 2006-01-31 14:06:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 19:35 -0800, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> > We are actively looking for developers for the project. Please
>> > drop me an e-mail if you want to join this project. We will use
>> > Python, so you need to be a Python guy to join the project. We
>> > are in planning phase, if you join us earlier, we will be able to
>> > share more ideas.
>>
>> You'd better define the purpose pretty clearly, as I don't see any
>> purpose that's of value, yet.
>
> I agree with Joshua's points here. Think of people who do not want
> an installation via command line.

When virtually every flavour of Unix has its own package manager, I
have difficulty distinguishing this from the "badness" of how Oracle's
installer handles things.

The people I imagine would be of interest as plausible new users are
the ones that don't want to be troubled with configuring pretty well
anything at all, command line or no.

The sort of thing that would get PostgreSQL much more widely deployed
would be (for instance) for applications like GnuCash or components of
GNOME/KDE to adopt it as their storage mechanism. Their developers
are not particularly interested in doing a lot of DBA work, e.g. -
setting up users, pg_hba.conf, and such. (The need for this is one of
the reasons the GnuCash people have been biasing towards SQLite...)

It's worth noting that GNOME/KDE projects have NOT attempted to build
their own GUI installers except in the forms of very platform-specific
things. In that regard, they let each platform have its own set of
"idioms."
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html