Re: Pre-forking backend

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: sean-pgsql-hackers(at)chittenden(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pre-forking backend
Date: 2001-09-30 15:11:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:

> This aside, isn't it possible to just copy the socket and some
> data about the database required into shared memory and have the preforked
> children pick the socket up from there.

Ummm.... No. There's no Unix API for doing so.

You can pass open file descriptors across Unix domain sockets on most
systems, which is a possible way to address the problem, but probably
not worth it for the reasons discussed earlier.

-Doug
--
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm,
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm. -Dylan