Re: SpreadFirefox

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SpreadFirefox
Date: 2004-10-20 03:38:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when neilc(at)samurai(dot)com (Neil Conway) wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 08:34, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Perhaps we could join in directly? Kind of an alliance thing....Josh?
>>
>> How about a "PostgreSQL Development Community" supports Firefox?

> What does PostgreSQL have to do with Firefox? They are OSS projects
> that cater to _completely_ different groups of users, share no code,
> and share no common history.

If Firefox decided to drop the XML configuration storage approach in
favor of using a (perhaps quasi-embedded, in the way it _could_ be
done) PostgreSQL instance, that would be a good excuse.

And this would be a most interesting application of PostgreSQL; there
are plenty of cases of data storage:
- Configuration data
- History
- Cache
- Bookmarks
- Icons and such

What would be equally or more interesting would be to build a "back
end" for either the GNOME or KDE config schemes that would use
PostgreSQL in lieu of the hordes of little XML files.

But as you say, there's not really anything in common now...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','ntlug.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/internet.html