Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-04-29 04:57:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

In the last exciting episode, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian) wrote:
> o integrated auto-vacuum (Bruce)

If this can kick off a vacuum of a Very Large Table at an unfortunate
time, this can turn out to be a prety painful misfeature.

What I'd _really_ love to see (and alas, it's beyond my ken) is some
parallel to the FSM, namely a "Recently Updated Blocks Map," which
would enable a vacuuming approach that would not go through entire
tables, but which would rather go through only those blocks known to
be recently updated.

There continues to be trouble if you have a table that grows to 50
million rows where there are 100K rows that are being heavily
updated. In effect, only the 100K rows need facuuming.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/emacs.html