Re: Slashdot discussion

From: kumar1(at)home(dot)com (Prasanth A(dot) Kumar)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot discussion
Date: 2000-07-11 18:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

<snip>
> > The current Red Hat RPMS do create the postgres user and initialize
> > the database but doesn't define any of the environment variables.
>
> And where should they be defined? /etc/profile, perhaps? Do I really
> want ot go there with ENVVARS? (maybe I do -- maybe I don't :-))

If it were done, you would put it into a separate file in
/etc/profile.d thus making it easy to implement in RPMS.

> > One
> > minor comment about the RPMS at the postgress website... The current
> > standard in Red Hat RPMS is to gzip all man pages because the man
> > program will automatically decompress them. If you run a RPM through
> > the program rpmlint, it will provide some useful warning about other
> > potential packing problems also...
>
> The only other rpmlint-able problem with the 7.0.2-2 set is the dangling
> symlink of os.h in -devel (which will be fixed in the next release).
> (and rpmlint's broken idea of file and directory permissions, which are
> set the way they are for a reason...., and its broken idea of Vendor and
> Distribution......).

I didn't specifically mean to imply there were huge problems with the
RPMS nor do I necessarily agree with all the warnings in rpmlint but I
think it is a good practice to run it in general once before releasing
RPMS because it can catch comman mistakes.

Actually, I kind of hate the fact that rpmlint exists... I'm the kind
of person who gets obsessed over compiler warnings and such in my own
code or annoyed of all the changed files when you do 'rpm -Va' so
rpmlint is just other thing for me to 'worry' about...

> The man pages are compressed in the latest RawHide release -- however,
> due to my desire for cross-distribution capability with these RPM's,
> since each distribution seems to have a different idea of where things
> ought to go, and what format they ought to be in... --buildpolicy in the
> latest RPM version fixes this sort of thing. The spec file itself is
> built with this in mind, allowing for the manpages to be compressed in
> any format or not compressed at all (due to the use of the appended * in
> the %files listing). Of course, that is a build-time thing -- my goal is
> not binary RPM compatibility, but SOURCE RPM compatibility.
<snip>

Are these new features in RPM 4.0? I was trying to install them from
RawHide and couldn't because my RPM is too old.

--
Prasanth Kumar
kumar1(at)home(dot)com