Re: Forbes article on "GPL hit men" mentions PostgreSQL

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forbes article on "GPL hit men" mentions PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-10-20 18:27:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
> Also, don't ya love how Forbes attacks the FSF for license enforcement, but
> seems to accept the BSA's tactics as normal?

Indeed. Apparently what is moral for the goose is not moral for the
gander (or the FSF).

The problem in this situation is that Cisco (/LinkSys) have adopted
code for their systems, and been cavalier about licensing.

The notion that there was any "trickery" involved should be put away.

These companies retain lawyers; they presumably pass on licenses to
their legal departments when that situation comes up, except that they
apparently weren't careful at least in this case.

They are "big guys" that, with their considerable portfolios of
products, patents, trademarks, and other "intellectual properties,"
should be doing this stuff rightly. If they didn't do any "due
diligence" on this, I can't be too terribly sympathetic.
--
output = reverse("gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/