Re: [GENERAL] Re : Solaris Performance - Profiling (Solved)

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re : Solaris Performance - Profiling (Solved)
Date: 2002-04-03 15:49:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:

> I noticed poor performance on Solaris, does one see this problem
> when compiling PostgreSQL with gcc on solaris?

Since it's libc that's the culprit, I would imagine so.

> As a suggestion, why not find the *best* version of qsort available,
> anywhere, and always use that version on all platforms?

Because qsort() is *supposed* to be optimized by the vendor for their
platform, perhaps even written in assembler. It makes sense to trust
the vendor except when their implementation is provably pessimized.

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught Wireboard Industries http://www.wireboard.com/

Custom software development, systems and network consulting.
Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache Linux BSD...