Re: Record order change after update

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Record order change after update
Date: 2004-03-03 02:09:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Clinging to sanity, josue(at)lamundial(dot)hn (Josué Maldonado) mumbled into her beard:
> After update a column on a table, that row goes to the top when I do a
> select from that table without any order, is that the expected
> behavior in postgresql? is there a way to prevent it?

Prevent what?

SQL returns unordered sets of data unless you specifically impose an
order using an ORDER BY clause.

Did PostgreSQL ignore your ORDER BY clause? If so, that would be a
problem worth reporting.

But if your query did not impose an ORDER BY clause, it is entirely
proper for the database engine to return data in whatever order it
finds most convenient.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html