Re: The big MySQL spin

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The big MySQL spin
Date: 2004-03-11 05:05:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

In the last exciting episode, chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au (Christopher Kings-Lynne) wrote:
>> What I find fascinating is how MySQL manages to declare how
>> autocratic they are, and make it seem like a good thing.
>
> OMG. Quotes like this just make me want to vomit:
>
> "While something like PostgreSQL or Berkeley DB are straight
> democracies," he explained, "MySQL -- and JBoss, to an extent -- are
> more akin to representative democracies, such we have here in the
> U.S. It's more efficient over the long haul."

It's just complete nonsense; some sort of claimed "spin" presumably
for the purpose of having _some_ sort of response to Bruce's comments
about 'community.'

If anything, PostgreSQL is the _only_ one of the lot having something
akin to "representative democracy." If I want to get a feature in, I
need to go and find a "representative" in Core to champion that
feature. Seems pretty "representative" to me.

In contrast, the claim that Berkeley DB is some sort of 'straight
democracy' is also just ludicrous. The direction of Berkeley DB is
controlled by the staff of the private company, Sleepycat Software,
which presumably makes it identically "autocratic" to all the others.
That's not a bash, by any means; I have exchanged emails with Keith
Bostic in the past, and all has been well and congenial.

I just can't fathom how the author could have competently concluded
that that company's product represents some sort of "straight
democracy;" it leaves me a little speechless...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html