Re: Trying to create multi db query in one large queries

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trying to create multi db query in one large queries
Date: 2004-12-16 04:22:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

The world rejoiced as josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
> Hasnul,
>
>> My question is if there is a query design that would query multiple
>> server simultaneously.. would that improve the performance?
>
> Not without a vast amounts of infrastructure coding. You're
> basically talking about what Oracle has spent the last 3 years and
> $100 million working on.

I recall a presentation from folks from Empress Software
<http://www.empress.com/> back in about '94 or '95 offering this very
feature as part of the "base functionality" of their product.

I'm not sure it's quite fair to assess things as "more or less
preposterous" simply because they prove ludicrously expensive to
develop on a particular platform that happens to be targeted by even
more ludicrous quantities of development dollars...

On the other hand, it seems unlikely that "improved performance" would
be one of the merits of this approach...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/