Re: two versions on same linux

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: two versions on same linux
Date: 2004-05-21 12:19:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, pgimpelj(at)sympatico(dot)ca ("Paul Gimpelj") wrote:
> I have redhat 7.3 and postgres 7.2
>
> Is there a way to have 7.4 installed together with postgres 7.2 ? and both running at the same time,
>
> with of course different data directories.
>
> should i use the generic postgres or the rpm'd.

Presumably the respective RPMs will conflict between the different
versions, which is a bit of a problem.

You could of course install one or the other or even both from source,
as long as you choose a specific place to stick them.

Under the circumstances, I'd be inclined to do this:

- Install the PG 7.4 RPMs, in order to have things like Perl support
managed by the package management system.

Personally, I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes (add further
gruesome details as needed ;-)) than manage Perl stuff by hand.

- Install PG 7.2 AND 7.4 in source code form in some place that YOU
manage, and run the database clusters out of that.

A naming convention could be to stick them in /opt; you'd configure
the source builds something like:

%postgresql-7.2.5> ./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres/7.2.5
[then build and install 7.2.5]

%postgresql-7.4.2> ./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres/7.4.2
[then build and install 7.4.2]

You'd need to customize both "init" scripts in /etc/rc.d, perhaps
basing them on the ones provided by the RPM file.

> The existing redhat has no passwords for postgres, and even if if
> assign one to user postgres,
>
> postgres ignores it.

That's probably based on the ACLs configured in the pg_hba.conf file;
if there are "trust" entries there, passwords can get ignored...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html