Re: postgres replication only some datas

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres replication only some datas
Date: 2004-08-23 13:19:33
Lists: pgsql-general

After a long battle with technology, Matthias Blohm <m(dot)blohm(at)digisec(dot)de>, an earthling, wrote:
> Hello,
> a question about a tool or a possibility how could something work.
>
> following situation:
> we have a database which is full of very sensitive information and needed that db to use our online website.
> but now we move the website to a server outside our office and needed to replicate only some datas to the online db.
> with the tool slony i found out , that some tables could be
> replicated, but in some tables are some information, which we do not
> wont to replicate.
> so we need a tool or an idea how to do that.
> I though about a dump and deleting the sensitive datas, but the
> database is about a half gig and we need the changed entries directly
> on the online db within seconds.
>
> Anybody how could help?

Is there some way you could separate out the "sensitive" material into
a separate table so that you'd have:

- Table "public_stuff" with the replicable data;
- Table "private_stuff" with the data that shouldn't be replicated;
- View "all_stuff", which unifies the data when it needs to be
combined.

You might use a rule to decide which data goes where, or perhaps a
stored procedure "create_stuff(elements)".
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html