Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug

From: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
To: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date: 2002-05-21 18:59:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:

> Relying on nonstandardized/nondocumented behaviour is a program bug,
> not a glibc bug.

The question is: how this thing didn't show up before? ISTM that
someone is not doing his work correctly.

> PostgreSQL needs fixing.

Arguably, however, right now is *a lot easier* to fix glibc, and it's
really needed for production systems using postgreSQL and working on
RedHat. But redhat users doesn't matter, the most important thing is
*strict* conformace to standars, right?

> Since we ship both, we're looking at it, but glibc is not the
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The sad true is: you only answered when the 'Complain to Red Hat'
statement appeared, not a single word before and not a single word
when the bug report were closed. I'm really disappointed.

The nice thing is: glibc is free software and we don't have to wait or
relay on some of the redhat staff members (thanks god) for this to get
fixed or say: for the standard to get extended again. The patch to
glibc is pretty straightforward and attached.

Regards,
Manuel.

Attachment Content-Type Size
mktime.patch text/x-patch 423 bytes