Re: Buglist

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Buglist
Date: 2003-08-26 22:05:53
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

After a long battle with technology,khera(at)kcilink(dot)com (Vivek Khera), an earthling, wrote:

> TL> Just nice'ing the VACUUM process is likely to be counterproductive
> TL> because of locking issues (priority inversion). Though if anyone cares
> TL> to try it on a heavily-loaded system, I'd be interested to hear the
> TL> results...
>
> tried it once. didn't make much difference except that vacuum took
> longer than normal. i didn't see any deadlocks.
>
> i actually figured out what my main problem was. vacuum every 6 hours
> on my two busiest tables was taking longer than 6 hours when we were
> very busy...

I "wedged" a database server once that way; it was busy, busy, busy
with a multiplicity of processes trying to simultaneously vacuum the
same table.

The "new generation" resolution to that is pg_autovacuum; if you're
running a pre-7.3 version, a good idea is basically to have a vacuum
script that checks a "lock file" and exits if it sees that another
process is already busy vacuuming.
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html