Re: massive quotes?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: massive quotes?
Date: 2003-09-11 02:15:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com> writes:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:35:18PM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> >
> > > I never agreed that a client solution would be satisfying. While
> > > frontends might try to hide some uglyness of the syntax to the user for
> > > single functions, editing large scripts with many functions is still
> > > suffering from "massive quotes".
> >
> > Oh, and you will be feeding those script to the backend through what?
>
> I don't know what he'd be using, but I use Perl/DBI for things like that.
> Sure, I could spawn psql instances, but it's a lot less efficient and is
> quite different from using DBI directly.

But Perl/DBI does escaping for you, so all you'd have to do is:

$sth = $dbh->prepare
("CREATE FUNCTION foo(x text) RETURNS text AS ? LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'");
$sth->execute($function_body);

where $function_body is the unescaped form of the function. So
there's no need for a COPY-style mechanism, you can use the current
CREATE FUNCTION syntax without having to escape everything yourself.
The same argument applies to JDBC.

-Doug