Re: A multi CUP performance problem

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A multi CUP performance problem
Date: 2003-09-24 03:12:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when liyuexin(at)neusoft(dot)com (Li YueXin) would write:
> I found postgresql running on the multi CPU machine doesn't have
> better performance than single CPU machine. Can you explain the
> reason? And how to resolve the problem?

The classic reason for this is that if your system is primarily I/O
bound, adding extra CPUs is likely to have a relatively negligible
effect on system performance.

The far-and-away most enormous increase in transactions-per-second
that people seem to see from hardware changes come from putting in a
SCSI controller with large amounts of battery-backed cache.
Additional disk drives tends to be #2. More memory also helps.

The "problem" might very well be your expectation that adding CPUs
would necessarily have much effect on performance.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/emacs.html