Re: Shared disk

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared disk
Date: 2004-12-11 13:52:57
Lists: pgsql-general

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, NageshwarR(at)PLANETASIA(dot)COM (Nageshwar Rao) wrote:
> I would like to use shared disk for two Postgresql database. I mean
> that two Postgresql Database point to same $PGDATA directory. Is
> this possible in Postgresql Clarification is appreciated.:p>

No, you can't do this, at least not if you expect the two database
processes to run at the same time.

There are High Availability systems that work in somewhat this
fashion; both servers access the same disk. But with a very precise
set of semantics:

-> The database filesystem is only mounted on one system at a time

-> The database process only runs on one system at a time

-> If the HA system detects that one server has gone down, it
"kicks" it to keep it down, and starts up services on the other
one.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html