Re: Production Backup and Recovery

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: "P(dot) Dwayne Miller" <dmiller(at)espgroup(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Production Backup and Recovery
Date: 2001-07-02 17:37:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"P. Dwayne Miller" <dmiller(at)espgroup(dot)net> writes:

> Is it documented somewhere how to do on-line backups and then how to
> recover from some event using those backups with no (or minimum) loss of
> data?

Right now there is no PIT recovery. All you can do is run pg_dump
whenever you want to make a backup. This will take a consistent
snapshot of the database and write it out as SQL code that will
recreate the database..

There has been talk of using the new WAL (write-ahead log) feature to
enable point-in-time recovery, but it is not currently implemented.

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,