Re: pg_dump 2GB limit?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump 2GB limit?
Date: 2002-03-29 00:35:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com> writes:

> The archives search is not working on postgresql.org so I need to ask this
> question...
>
> We are using postgresql 7.2 and when dumping one of our larger databases,
> we get the following error:
>
> File size limit exceeded (core dumped)
>
> We suspect pg_dump. Is this true? Why would there be this limit in
> pg_dump? Is it scheduled to be fixed?

This means one of two things:

1) Your ulimits are set too low, or
2) Your pg_dump wasn't compiled against a C library with large file
support (greater than 2GB).

Is this on Linux?

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught Wireboard Industries http://www.wireboard.com/

Custom software development, systems and network consulting.
Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache Linux BSD...