Re: System triggers

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: System triggers
Date: 2003-05-16 16:56:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was going thr. a oracle refresher course today. I came across this concept
> of system triggers which can be installed on things like database/connection
> startup.
>
> I think it would be a good addition to psotgresql. I was planning to hack
> dblink for multiple named persistent connections. ( HI Joe, I am still
> here..:-))) In that case, it would be a very easy thing to do to open a
> remote database connection whenever a new connection is opened to database.
> This way remote database would be totally transparent to end user..

IMHO, and I'm not a core developer, there's no need for "database
startup triggers"--whatever process starts the database can run an SQL
script at that time.

"Connection startup triggers" might be useful, and there's no good way
of doing them outside the database unless you wire it into every
client app, which kind of defeats the purpose...

> Can this be taken for future versions?

I'm sure your patches would be considered for inclusion. :)

-Doug