Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium
Date: 2004-02-13 19:52:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca (Andrew Sullivan) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:19:39PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> 64-bits isn't faster than 32, and can be slower because of the longer
>> pointer length, decreasing cache performance. The major advantage to
>> 64-bits is accessing more the 4gb of RAM.
>
> I note, however, that all the Sun experts say you should get your
> database applications optimised for 64 bits because you can ship
> around more data at a time. I have no clue what they're basing it
> on, though.

Well, presumably if you are copying values in and out of registers, it
is preferable to use 64 bit registers, thereby shifting around 64 bits
at a time. If that seems underwhelming, well, that might explain
Solaris...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html