Re: Problem with encode() function

From: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
To: Glenn_Wiens(at)via-christi(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with encode() function
Date: 2004-05-21 22:21:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Glenn_Wiens(at)via-christi(dot)org writes:

> but I still get the error:
>
> ERROR: Function encode(text, "unknown") does not exist
> Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument
> types
> You may need to add explicit typecasts
>
> Is there a way I can accomplish this task?

The problem is that there is no cast from varchar to bytea (which is
what encode takes as first argument). Try creating the cast first:

CREATE CAST (varchar as bytea) WITHOUT FUNCTION;
SELECT encode(password::bytea, 'base64'::text) FROM texttable;

You may want to drop the cast afterwards.

Regards,
Manuel.