Re: MySQL & Red Hat?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL & Red Hat?
Date: 2005-04-23 18:10:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

After a long battle with technology, filip(at)wuytack(dot)net (filip wuytack), an earthling, wrote:
> I just spotted this press release:
> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2005_13.html
>
> I'm a bit confused about this as I tought, Red Hat was/is one of the
> main sponsors behind PostgreSQL and is funding Tom's work on Pg...

I believe that announcemtn would be characteristic of the case of
"money not stink."

There are a lot of people out there running MySQL-based applications
on Linux, and it is in RHAT's interests for as many of the resulting
distribution support licenses, feeding their bottom line, as possible.

This is very much like Oracle having "joint ventures" with SAP even
though they sell a directly competing product. If Oracle can sell
more database licenses, that's money for them even if they didn't get
to sell an Oracle Applications license...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html