Re: SpreadFirefox

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SpreadFirefox
Date: 2004-10-21 02:08:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

In the last exciting episode, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
>>If Firefox decided to drop the XML configuration storage approach in
>>favor of using a (perhaps quasi-embedded, in the way it _could_ be
>>done) PostgreSQL instance, that would be a good excuse.

> IMHO that is a bad use for PostgreSQL and a better use for
> SQLite. PostgreSQL is a farily heavy process to be a book mark
> manager.

XUL + XML strikes me as being a pretty "heavyweight process" for use
in managing bookmarks, so I don't see this being a big issue.

We don't know what would happen, in the end, after tuning took place.

The point would be that if it turned out OK, this would be an argument
in favor of having the DB instance be "central," and throw more
applications onto it so that more costs would get shared. _That_
wouldn't be a benefit likely with SQLite...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxfinances.info';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/emacs.html