Re: Dropping Fields In A Table

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: "Krog, Kenneth" <KAKrog(at)MassMutual(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL general list (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dropping Fields In A Table
Date: 2001-09-17 15:14:07
Lists: pgsql-general

"Krog, Kenneth" <KAKrog(at)MassMutual(dot)com> writes:

> In what version of Postgre are you able to drop fields in a table (7.1?),
> and is this the correct syntax:
> ALTER TABLE tablename DROP COLUMN columnname;
>
> And is their a way to change the type of column that a column is for
> instance from CHAR to INT, and what is the syntax for that. I looked up one
> side of the documentation and down the other and their does not seem to be a
> way.

I'm pretty sure neither of these is currently implemented. You need
to backup, drop and recreate the table, or do a ALTER TABLE RENAME/
CREATE TABLE AS/DROP TABLE dance.

-Doug
--
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm,
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm. -Dylan