Re: java stored procedures

From: Gunnar Rønning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: Laszlo Hornyak <hornyakl(at)freemail(dot)hu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: java stored procedures
Date: 2001-12-06 12:32:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

* Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com> wrote:

| possible problems with your strategy). Without knowing what exactly
| you are thinking of doing it is difficult to comment.

Agreed.

| Having one jvm that all the postgres backend processes communicate
| with makes the whole feature much more complicated, but is necessary
| in my opinion.

I'm not quite sure if I agree here. Startup time is not an issue if you are
using connection pooling on the client and memory is cheap ;-) Having
a separate process would indeed introduce overhead where you don't want
it. In the critical path when executing queries.

| I am very interested in hearing what your plans are for pl/java. I
| think this is a very difficult project, but one that would be very
| useful and welcome.

I would very much like to hear about the plans myself.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/