Re: BUG #5062: 8.4.1 compile fails on debian can't find libdl

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "philip wright" <zphw(at)de1(dot)uga(dot)duke(dot)edu>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5062: 8.4.1 compile fails on debian can't find libdl
Date: 2009-09-18 19:44:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> "philip wright" <zphw(at)de1(dot)uga(dot)duke(dot)edu> writes:
>
> Our Debian packager would certainly have complained before now if PG
> didn't build on Debian. I suspect that you have forgotten to install
> some needed support files. Does Debian have the equivalent of -devel
> subpackages? If so you're probably missing whatever -devel package
> goes with libdl.

debian provides friendly package building tools:

http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/postgresql-8.4

# install all build dependancies for postgresql-8.4
apt-get build-dep postgresql-8.4

# build it with debian defaults etc
apt-get source -b postgresql-8.4

# or only get the sources
apt-get source postgresql-8.4

If you want to tweak the debian options choices, see apt-build.

And if the problem is related to building client or server tools for
postgresql, then you have the -devel kind of packages:

apt-get install postgresql-server-dev-8.4 libpq-dev

Regards,
--
dim