Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2010-01-10 09:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> That is assuming that the MUA gives you the option of specifying the
> attachment MIME type. Many (including mine) do not. It would mean an extra
> step - I'd have to gzip each patch or something like that. That would be
> unfortunate,as well as imposing extra effort, because it would make the
> patch not display inline in many MUAs (again, like mine).

Bad MUA, change MUA, or what they say…

More seriously though, it's not the first time we're having some
difficulties with the MHonArc setup, and I think it's also related to
the poor thread following on the archives website at month boundaries.

MHonArc (http://hydra.nac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html) seems to be
about converting the mails into some HTML pages, and offering the web
interface to get to use them, with some indexing and searches
facilities.

Are our indexing and searches provided by MHonArc or maintained by the
community? How helpful considering alternatives, such as AOX (which runs
atop PostgreSQL and would offer anonymous IMAP facility over the
archives) would be?

Of course it'll boil down to who's maintaining the current solution and
how much time is allocated to this, the solution research and migration
would have to fit in there I suppose. Same as pgfoundry. But still,
should we talk about it?

Regards,
--
dim